Friday, 5 July 2013

Spelthorne Sports vs Hampton and Richmond XI

Spelthorne Sports vs Hampton and Richmond XI

The second game of the season saw Hampton and Richmond send a team of trialists to Spelthorne Sports, whilst their first team held an intensive training session just off the side of the pitch. Spelthorne themselves made 11 subs at half time so there were many opportunities to see a wide variety of players in action. However, perhaps due to the presumed lack of playing time the players had previous to the game, the match never really got going and was a poor spectacle

Spelthorne started on the front foot and thought they had taken the lead after a free-kick was headed in, but the linesman ruled it out for offside. Most of the chances that came after that were half chances that came about after slack passing or other basic mistakes. The Hampton XI did have one great chance, however, after a good ball found a centre-forward. He took it round the keeper but just took it too far and Spelthorne recovered to clear. Not long after this, Hampton hit the crossbar after a thumping header, and the rebound didn’t quite find its way in, unlucky for the Hampton front line. Just before half-time, Spelthorne had a seemingly clear penalty appeal turned away when really it should have been given

The half-time break only lasted around 5 minutes due to the fact that both teams made 11 changes, effectively giving us a completely different game for 45 minutes. Interestingly, the second half Spelthorne side were wearing a different kit to the first half team, something I have never seen before. A comedy of errors in the Spelthorne defence almost gave Hampton the lead but again the striker took the ball too far round the keeper and fired wide. Hampton piled on the pressure in the first 15 minutes of the second half but Spelthorne’s defence held strong and it was the hosts who eventually took the lead after a Hampton defender lost the ball and the Spelthorne forward eventually finished after his original effort was saved. Hampton instantly replied by hitting the post before being awarded a penalty minutes later. This penalty was just about put away despite the keeper getting a strong hand to it. Hampton had one last chance to win but it was put wide and the game finished 1-1

Not the best game ever but it did have its high points. I would just like to finish by suggesting that if you have to buy dinner from a corner shop, do not get a mushroom and chicken slice, they are absolutely disgusting!

No comments:

Post a Comment